Alice in Wonderland fans are marking the 150th anniversary regarding the fateful ship journey that saw the genesis associated with the youngsters’ story. But how come therefore numerous see adult themes into the tale, asks Sophie Robehmed.
Alice’s activities in Wonderland is, using one degree at the least, the tale of a woman who disappears down a bunny hole up to a place that is fantastic of strange activities.
Charles Dodgson, a mathematician at Christ Church, Oxford, first told their story that is surreal to daughters of dean Henry Liddell because they rowed down the Thames.
After the sailing journey, 10-year-old Alice Liddell badgered Dodgson to write it straight straight down and Alice in Wonderland – underneath the pseudonym Lewis Carroll – came to be. The heroine follows a speaking rabbit that is white fulfills the Queen of Hearts and performs croquet using flamingos as mallets.
Considering that the 1960s there’s been a trend for visitors to spot an underlying drug theme in the guide.
Alice in tradition
- Film-maker Tim Burton reprised the storyline this year movie, Alice in Wonderland, featuring Helena Bonham-Carter since the Red Queen (recreated on handbag, pictured)
- Matt Groening’s TV show Futurama includes occasional character Mad Hatter Bot – frequently seen with tea-set
- Character Neo in movie The Matrix told to “follow the rabbit that is white – certainly one of a wide range of allusions to Carroll’s stories
- Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 record album Surrealistic Pillow features White Rabbit – a track about smoking cigarettes caterpillars, chess-men and mushrooms
- US pop music artist John Wesley’s images Alice that is falling and Dumpty in 1963 motivated by Alice tales
The Cheshire Cat disappears making just the grin that is enigmatic. Read more “Is Alice in Wonderland actually about medications?(The drug website website link is a homespun thing.)”